14 August 2011

Ode to Tony



O Tony of TLC Auto Repairs,
may your business flourish ever more,
may the tooth fairy replace your top plate
with metallic finish white pearls.
O Tony, my heart stalled, I swear,
when the bloke at Waitara said
“I can see a thousand bucks there
just for the rust” and sent me
to the old Hungarian at Betta Batteries
who quoted me six hundred
for windscreen scratches,
welding and a brake pedal rubber.

But you, Tony, whom I had not seen for almost a summer,
welcomed me with your almost shiny smile:
“Is that door lock still working?”
and I knew your friendship had not wavered.
O Tony, when you handed over that pink slip
and said “Eighteen dollars”
I wanted to win the lottery and give you half,
I wanted to replace all the seals on your Datsun ZX
and personally blacken the tyres,
but I just reached into my pocket
and gave you ten bucks “for a beer”.
You’d made my day, my month, my year!

No comments:

Post a Comment