14 August 2011

To a thin woman


You stood in the rain at Clyde station,
a doll streaming make-up
but the blue under your eyes
was bruising.

You sat against a window,
a painted smile cracking your face
pretending to read a newspaper,
vomited on the floor,
didn’t want to make a scene.

            You seem to be going somewhere
            probably hung over
            you smell
            you’re dirty and battered
            it’s your life
            I won’t speak

You got off at my station
I asked if you were OK.
            My keys, locked in, the agent, no money,
            could you lend me five dollars
            for my methadone?
as you hobbled down the steps
and were sick again.
            It’s the tablets.
I followed you to the clinic
but somewhere on the way
you became very small
and disappeared down a crack
in a wet side street

No comments:

Post a Comment